History

Church Timeline

1873

Thirteen persons met to take the first steps toward forming a German parish

1873

The Presbytery formed the parish and received the name: 

 "Erste Deutsche Presybterianischer Kirche zu Bethanien, Oregon"

(First German Presbyterian Church of Bethany, Oregon)

 

1874

Land was donated upon which the church was built. A cemetery was established behind the church.

 

1874

Jacob Wismer became first official Elder

 

1885

Land was donated to the church. The first manse was built on this land.

 1899

Ladies Aid and Missionary Society was organized

1904

Dedication Service for the new church

 

1908

Retired the remaining debt on the new church. Announced to Presbytery that the congregation had become self-supporting.

 

1915

A new barn was built

 

1923

The congregation celebrated its 50th anniversary 

 

1924

The Frauenverien (Ladies Aid and Missionary Society) presented the Church with the Silver Communion Pitcher and Chalice, which are still used today

1929

Congregation voted to discontinue the use of the German language

1929

An addition was built onto the first manse

1930

Electricity arrived in Bethany

 

1930

A drilled well and pressure water system was added to the church and manse

 

1936

Construction on the new manse was completed his is the manse that is located just west of the third church

1939

The church was remodeled to enlarge the rostrum and auditorium

1947

Automatic oil heating systems were installed in both the church and manse

1948

An electric range and water heater was installed in the manse. The Wurlitzer organ and Maas Cathedral Chimes were installed in the church.

1948

Church’s 75th anniversary

 

1955

New sanctuary was designed and built

 

1960

Ladies Aid and Missionary Society changed its name to Bethany Presbyterian Women  

1962

A hurricane storm hit the church badly. The steeple, containing the 450-pound church bell, was blown off the second church. An earthquake toppled the chimney from the manse. Other than some frayed nerves, no other damage was noted.

1963

Bethany reached its 90th year

1966

A fire destroyed the upper portion of the second church that had been used as an educational unit for the preceding eight years

1967

New education wing was dedicated

1970

Bethany Youth Groups began traveling to churches throughout the western United States and Mexico

 

1973

Bethany celebrated its 100th Anniversary

 

1973

The building fund debt on the Education Wing had been retired

 

1991

Bethany formed the Logas program

1994

Ground was broken for a new Christian Education Building

 

1999

The church bell was moved from the second church to its new home in the bell tower, which stands proudly in the courtyard of the third church​

 

1998

The church celebrated it’s 125th Anniversary​

2000

The Christian Education Building was dedicated to the memory of Rev. Henry Dickman

2017

Sato Elementary, named after a family who attended Bethany Presbyterian prior to WWII, is opened to students. For more information about their story, please click       

Photos

AAAAAA OLD.jpg

First Church ~1900

AAAAA BELLS.jpg

Current Bell Tower ~2021

Church Modern.jpg

Current Sanctuary Building ~2021